This weekend we went to The Revenant, and it was seriously mind blowing. Not in the “I had no idea what was going to happen, what a major twist!” way, mostly in the “Thank you God for bringing me into the world when you did, and where you did, because I would totally not be cut out for life without luxuries such as heat and modern medicine and a cell phone for when I get in a real jam.” Sometimes it is so crazy to think how far we have come in not a whole lot of time. Anyway, I highly recommend it! I’m honestly not the biggest Leonardo DiCaprio fan, but he did an amazing job and it was totally intense and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time!! I love those movies!
On a different note, this weekend was the coldest weekend we have had in 2016, and honestly it feels like the coldest weekend of my life. FYI, I say that probably every weekend in January every year, so take it with a grain of salt. But, seriously, it was freezing! It was well below zero degrees and my face felt like it could fall off within 2 seconds of being outside. Why is this necessary? Why can’t we have these temps when we are excited about winter like before Christmas. Come January 1, I’m like “Alright, I’ve had enough, bring on spring!” It was actually colder in Minneapolis this weekend than it was in Antarctica. Seriously!?! I’m seriously thinking about uprooting my entire family, and Andrew’s and moving them all to the Bahamas for 5 months of the year so we can avoid this wretched weather.
I should have made this chili this weekend, but we had it last weekend and it did not disappoint. I have been trying to eat fewer animal products lately. But trying to get your protein in while doing so, can be a real struggle. This recipe is a total exception. It is packed with quinoa (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite foods) and a heavy dose of beans, not to mention a ton of veggies and just the right amount of kick. It will not disappoint! Thick and chunky and super healthy? This fits the bill for a perfect chili! You will not regret this super simple, winter-wonderful meal!
XOXO – Emmy Lou Lou
Protein-Packed Vegetarian Chili
• 1 Cup quinoa
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 2 Cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Onion, diced
• 2 Cans diced tomatoes
• 1 Can tomato sauce (15 oz)
• 1 Can diced green chiles
• 1 Package fresh mushrooms
• 1 Green pepper, chopped
• 1 ½ Cup corn
• 1 Can kidney beans
• 1 Can white beans
• 3 Tablespoons cilantro
• Juice of 1 lime
• ¾ Teaspoon black pepper
• 1 Tablespoon chili powder
• 1 ¼ Teaspoon cumin
• 1 ½ Teaspoon cayenne
• 1 Teaspoon garlic
• 1 Teaspoon oregano
• 2 Teaspoons paprika
• 2 Teaspoons sea salt
• In a large pot, cook quinoa in 2 cups of water according to directions.
• Once quinoa is finished cooking, remove from pot and set aside.
• In the large pot, combine olive oil, garlic, and onion. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent.
• While that is cooking, place mushrooms in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
• Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chiles, green pepper, mushrooms, and quinoa to the pot.
• Add 2 cups of water to pot.
• Add spices and stir. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
• Add corn, cilantro, lime, and beans and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until warm.
• Serve with cheese, and fresh bread.